Mazmullar History - Continued...
This aljibe is divided into nine compartments by four cruciform basins and Islamic horseshoe arches which support a ribbed vault, 7.7m long, 5.75m wide. An inscription found over one of the arches in Magreb lettering referred to the Galiba tribe who lived here in Nazari times. The cistern could hold 20,000 litres of water. Above this cistern archaeologists believe there were houses with paved walkways.
In this area too was found 'una doble hornacina', some sort of arched niche made from bricks which may have been used to keep wine and other drinks cool.
And nearby a cista or pit was found containing a skeleton believed to be from the 11th century.
South of the aljibe, in the area known as 'el campo de las almendras', an alberca or reservoir was found. This alberca was roughly rectangular, 4.5m long with sides of different lengths (4m and 3.5m) and 2.2m deep. It was thought to have been part of the patio of a house of a very wealthy family.
This settlement was an important and prosperous place from the 9th century and was thought to have been part of the territory of Omar Ibn Hafsun. It was subsequently attacked, probably by the army of the Caliph of Córdoba, enemy of Ibn Hafsun. Archaeologists found much wood ash and charred artifacts suggesting the village was burnt during the attack. Later it was rebuilt and re-populated in the 12th century. We do not know when or why it was finally abandoned but this may have been when the Catholics conquered Comares in 1487.