Painting Competition Rules
"THREE DAYS TOUCHING THE SKY"
COMARES PAINTING COMPETITION RULES
From 8th to 10th June 2012 (Friday to Sunday), the 1st Comares Painting Competition entitled “Three Days touching the Sky” will take place, organized by Comares Town Hall (Málaga) under the following rules:
1. All artists, Spanish or foreign residents, who are 18 years or older are eligible to enter this competition.
2. Registration will take place between 14th May until 12 noon on 1st June 2012.
3 The Registration Form can be submitted by hand to Comares Town Hall or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org The registration form should be accompanied by a short CV and at least 5 photographs of works by the artist.
3. The jury will select 10 artists from the entrants and they will be published in the Comares Tourism website: http://www.turismocomares.es/ after 4th June. The 10 selected entrants/artists will be notified by e-mail and/or telephone, after which the artist should confirm their participation.
4. The decision of the jury, both for the selection of the 10 artists and the choice of the winning painting, will be final.
5. The 10 selected artists will enjoy accommodation and meals (2 nights, 8th and 9th of June) free of charge during the days of the competition. This invitation will be for 2 people (artist + companion) by courtesy of Comares Town Hall.
6. The theme of the painting competition will be related to the village of Comares (landscapes, streets, squares, corners, people, etc.) depicting day or night scenes.
7. The artists should attend the Town Hall on Friday, 8th June between 9.30 - 12.30 pm with their blank canvas (canvas or board on stretcher, without texture) in order to have it stamped. Each artist will be allowed to submit up to 2 paintings. The shortest side of the canvas should not be less than 60 cm.
Failure to have the canvases stamped between the times shown above will result in disqualification.
8. The painting competition starts at 10 a.m. on Friday 8th. The artists will have until 9 pm on Saturday, 9th June to complete their work. The work should then be presented, signed but unframed, between 9 pm and 10 pm on Saturday, at a local venue to be specified by the Town Hall.
9. On the morning of Sunday 10th June, the paintings will be displayed in the Exhibition Hall (Salon des Actos). The jury will convene and the winner will be announced by 11 am.
10. A single prize of 1,100 euros will be presented to the winning artist. The Town Hall will retain intellectual rights over the winning painting which will become part of the artistic patrimony of the Town Hall. This prize is awarded under current IRPF law.
11. After the award ceremony, there will be a public auction of all the non-winning paintings. A reserve of 100 euros will be set for each painting. The highest bid, less 100 euros to cover expenses, will be given to the corresponding artist. If a painting is not sold in the auction, it will become the property of the Town Hall. Artists will be able to bid for their own paintings.
12. All entrants will grant Comares Town Hall the rights to use their paintings for copying, distribution and publication.
13. Following the auction, the paintings will remain on display in the Exhibition Hall until Friday, 24th June, after which the purchasers of the paintings will be able to collect them. The organizers will endeavour to safeguard the paintings whilst exhibited, but cannot be held responsible for any damage incurred.
14. All information about this competition will be published on the webpage http://www.turismocomares.es/ In order to maximise the publicity of the event, a poster will be designed. There will also be a media and website coverage.
15. The jury will be formed by:
- Francisco Trigueros: Artist
- Mariano Diaz: Audiovisual Producer
- Manuel Ibanez: Poster Designer
16. Participation in this competition implies the agreement, without reserve, of the rules of the event.
Comares, 11th May 2012